List of Ig Nobel Prize winners (2008)
* Archaeology: Astolfo Gomes de Mello Araujo and Jose Carlos Marcelino, for showing that armadillos can mix up the contents of an archaeological site. (Brazil)
* Biology: Marie-Christine Cadiergues, Christel Joubert, and Michel Franc, for discovering that fleas that live on dogs jump higher than fleas that live on cats.
* Chemistry: Sheree Umpierre, Joseph Hill, and Deborah Anderson, for discovering that Coca-Cola is an effective spermicide, and C.Y. Hong, C.C. Shieh, P. Wu, and B.N. Chiang for proving it is not.
* Cognitive science: Slime molds can solve puzzles – Toshiyuki Nakagaki, Hiroyasu Yamada, Ryo Kobayashi, Atsushi Tero, Akio Ishiguro, and Ágota Tóth.
* Economics: Exotic dancers earn more when at peak fertility – Geoffrey Miller, Joshua Tyber, and Brent Jordan.
* Literature: David Sims, for his study “You Bastard: A Narrative Exploration of the Experience of Indignation within Organizations”.
* Medicine: Dan Ariely for demonstrating that expensive placebos are more effective than inexpensive placebos.
* Nutrition: Food tastes better when it sounds more appealing – Massimiliano Zampini and Charles Spence
* Peace: The Swiss Federal Ethics Committee on Non-Human Biotechnology and the citizens of Switzerland, for adopting the legal principle that plants have dignity.
* Physics: heaps of string or hair will inevitably tangle – Dorian Raymer and Douglas Smith